Andrew

Andrew
Photo Courtesy of Scott Kirk Photography

Thursday, November 25, 2010

MADE WITH LOVE


My mother always told me she had a great mother-in-law.  She was wonderful, according to all who knew her, but I, her granddaughter, never had the privilege of meeting her.  I, too, have a wonderful mother-in-law and, unlike me, my son was lucky to know her, love her, and be loved by her. 
       Do you know my mother-in-law?  She is the way all grandmothers should be.  Marilyn has a smile that can light up a room.  She is always available for a quick visit or a wonderful meal.  My mother-in-law maybe short in stature, but tall in her ability to love.   She has been grieving the loss of our sweet Andrew right along with us.  In her grief, she created an Andrew legacy for our family.  She created this with her talent and her tears.
       Andrew never could keep his room clean.  After his death, I realized why.  The boy had too many articles of clothing for the small amount of storage space that I gave him.  He had so many t-shirts that I filled up three garbage sacks of them.  I had them in the back of my car, ready to take them to St. Vincent's, when my mother-in-law asked me for them.  She wanted to take all of his t-shirts and make a quilt for each of the kids.  If there were enough leftover, she would make one for Bill and me too.  If there were enough?
       So, during this summer and into the fall, Grandma lovingly created quilt squares out of his t-shirts.  She organized them by mascots--Bulldogs, Cardinals, Cougars, Griz, Mariners, Seahawks, Packers.  She organized them by activities--football, football camp, basketball, basketball camp, t-ball, theater activities, pep band.  She wanted each quilt to be special to each sibling.  We also found a crimson fabric on which I had a lot of memories embroidered onto it--Andrew David Groom--February 9, 1994-June 7, 2010--Bulldog Football, Bulldog Basketball, Bulldog Golf--Bulldog Born, Bulldog Bred.  All of this was accomplished among so many activities, including a two and a half week "vacation" in the hospital as she recovered from knee replacement surgery.  A dear friend machine quilted each, in a very speedy manner, so Grandma could finish the quilts by Thanksgiving.  It was her plan to give them to Andrew's brothers and sister on this first major holiday without him.
       So today, after our meal, Grandma and Grandpa Groom gave Billy & Jessie, Amanda, Clint & Ashley, plus Bill & me our Andrew t-shirt quilt.  They are each beautiful and unique, just like our Andrew.  What a wonderful way for a loving grandmother to honor a much loved grandson!


Amanda



Billy, Jessie, and Hendrix



Clint & Ashley


2 comments:

  1. You are correct, you do have a cool Mother in Law, what a nice tribute, must have been cathartic for her as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Roseann....These are absolutely amazing. They will surround each family member with such love and pieces of Andrew. Please pass on to her how incredible these are. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete