Andrew

Andrew
Photo Courtesy of Scott Kirk Photography

Saturday, October 30, 2010

AND NOW A WORD FROM HENDRIX

       A princess is staying with me this weekend. Her highness always keeps me company and entertains me with her wit and wisdom, whenever she is with me.  This weekend she has been intuitive to me and my feelings.  It has been a 1,001 questions/statements about Andrew weekend. 
      Dayton General Hospital and all of it departments had "trick-or-treatin' " after school Friday, so we went.  On our way home we went to check on Andrew.  As we were pulling away, she asked, "Does anyone come trick-or-treatin' up here?"  And what do I say to that?  "I don't think so" came out of my mouth, but my head was thinking, "Good question!" 
       Then we went to the football game and she witnessed "Senior Night" festivities.  "If we still had Andrew, we would get to do this too."  With a lump in my throat, I whispered to her, "You are right, honey.  We would get to do this."
       All day today, she has been doing "Andrew" things.  She spent time in his room watching a movie.  She has been playing his Game Boy.  She has been looking through his albums--baby pictures to funeral pictures.  She also has been looking through one of his Bibles.  It is the one that I am using for my current Bible study.  It's hard to explain, but I feel so close to him when I am using it.  It isn't his picture Bible, but it's the first real Bible we gave him.  Hendrix is fascinated by it.  This morning she was writing numbers out of it--just all the numbers of the chapters and a few verses.  Does she feel the same comfort from it that I do?
       Hendrix's Halloween costume this year is Rapunzel.  Remember--"Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down your long hair."  Rapunzel's hair was a life line for Mother Goethel to visit her, and according to the new Disney version, it's Mother Goethel's way to keep her young.  The Rapunzel staying at my home this weekend continues to be a life line for me.  And her words bring sadness sometimes to my heart, but most of the time, her words bring joy to my life--a life that has lost a major source of it's joy. 

~Andrew's Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment